Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Local Drink

I forgot to mention that we tried a local beverage favorite: a shandy. (I'm not sure if that's how the New Zealanders spell it, but that's how it sounds. Their accent can be very tricky!) Anyway, when we were on the train, we were offered New Zealand beer. I said that I don't really like beer, but I'd try the lightest one. The woman said that people who aren't crazy over the taste of beer drink shandies. She said you mix half beer and half Sprite. Well, I tried it, and liked it. Bill also liked it. I know this is probably killing real beer drinkers, especially Brewmaster Taki, but hey, we always like to try the local food specialties. There is also a coffee drink, similar to a latte, called a 'flat white' that is popular in both New Zealand and Australia. We didn't get around to having one in NZ, but it's on our list of things to do before we leave Australia.

No comments: